When it comes to office email software, most people support one of several services: Microsoft Outlook, Gmail and others. A vast majority of companies use Microsoft Outlook and have either considered using Gmail or are in the process of switching over. Gmail and Outlook both have large amounts of fans, and when asked to switch from Outlook to Gmail, many don’t want to. There is a way around this though.
If you have employees who are reluctant to switch from Outlook to Gmail, there is a way to use the Gmail platform with the familiarity of Outlook through a feature Google calls Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook. Here’s how you can set it up. Note: you need to be a Google Apps Administrator for this to work.
- Log in to your Google account and navigate to your Dashboard. From there go to the Settings tab (located on the bar going across the top of the window) and click Email (located on the left of the window). Under the General tab scroll down and tick the box that says Enable Google Apps Sync and Google Apps Connector for my users.
- Scroll down to User email uploads and tick the box that says Allow users to upload mail using the Email Migration API. This will allow users to upload their profiles from Outlook.
- Select Contacts from the left side of the screen and select Enable contact sharing.
- Click the Dashboard tab from the top of the window, and select Your Google Apps and ensure that Google Calendar is on.
- Navigate to Domain Settings, the tab is at the top of the window, select User Settings and check the box that says Enable provisioning API.
- Download and install the Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Office tool. It should run automatically.
- Sign in to Google Apps Sync and select which data is to be merged from Outlook into Gmail and press Create profile. A screen will pop up asking you to open Outlook. When you do, the migration will then start.
- While the migration is in progress, which could take a while, right click on the Google Sync icon on the bottom right of your screen (beside the clock) and select Set calendars to sync. Select the calendars and hit Ok.